Monday, January 4, 2010

Review: The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A. J. Jacobs


My first read of 2010. I really enjoyed reading this book. And what's not to like? A crazy holy grail - reading the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica - and a bookworm with a sense of humour author.

Out of the millions of facts in the encyclopaedia, the choices Jacobs makes to share in the novel also reveal a great deal about him as do the connections he makes between those facts and the rest of society. We learn how his competition with his father prompts his monumental undertaking and get a sense of "the real world" outside his task as he and his wife attempt to become parents.

He hilariously reveals how he becomes a bit of a pain in the ass with all his stored up knowledge just waiting to spring it into use in a conversation no matter how tenuous the connection. Hey, who hasn't wanted to do that? Although he had more success with his general knowledge than I did after studing for a customs broker exam.

I wish I could quote more of the funny passages but there are way too many to count.

Overall a funny, general interest read, well written, and easy to finish.

I'd rate it 4 out of 5
Source of this copy: library
Would I buy it? It would be on my 2nd choice list

No comments:

Post a Comment