Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Review: The Sacred Bones & The Sacred Blood by Michael Byrnes

I actually read the first book in the series, "The Sacred Bones" last year. It had an intriguing premise; a Vatican conspiracy to steal and examine but not publicly declare the discovery of the bones of Jesus but I just didn’t make an emotional connection with the characters. It was like reading a dumbed down version of a Dan Brown novel which is saying something! The idea was great. The genetics details and religious history, scene setting was just enough without overwhelming the reader. But I just couldn’t care about the characters. And if you don't care about the characters you might as well be reading a textbook. But, in my obsessive compulsive little way, I read to the end - hoping it would get better but - surprise - it just ended with the set up for the sequel.

So why read the sequel? I picked up "The Sacred Blood" because there wasn't much else in the paperback section of the library that day and I wanted something easy to read. Also I thought maybe the writing would get better this time around. Well it’s the same – proficient. The story moves along at a good clip. The new characters Jules and Amit with their witty banter are far more engaging than Charlotte and Father Donovan. The religious/eqyptian history is interesting but again not overwhelming in amount. And - surprise - it ends with the set up for another sequel.

Definitely a beach or stuck at the bus depot kind of read.

I'd rate it 3 out of 5.
Would I buy it? No.

No comments:

Post a Comment